Frequently Asked Questions

What is a graduate certificate?

A graduate certificate is similar to what is considered a "minor" in undergraduate studies, but involves a practicum and/or research component. It is essentially a specialization that has official requirements and results in a certificate. When applying to positions, fellowships or degree programs the certificate indicates an in-depth specialization as opposed to listing a number of injury-related classes. There are a number of graduate certificate programs that are offered through the Laney Graduate School (LGS) and the Rollins School of Public Health (RSPH).

I'm not planning on becoming a physician or working in public health. Can I still get an Injury & Violence Prevention Graduate Certificate?

The field of injury and violence prevention is broad and spans an array of fields. The Injury & Violence Prevention Certificate Program is interdisciplinary by nature and participants are expected to take courses outside of their primary field of interest. While the ECIC is housed in the School of Medicine, relevant fields to injury and violence prevention include but aren't limited to: gender studies, anthropology, medical fields, public health, psychology, social work, education, international development, environmental studies, urban planning, religion, sociology, policy and many more. If you are enrolled at LGS or RSPH then you can apply to the program regardless of your interest in a medical field.

Will my practicum be funded?

The ECIC does not fund the certificate program practicum; however some placements may be funded by the host organization if their budget permits. Additionally, students of the certificate program can apply to the ECIC Practicum Program. The Practicum Program is separate from the certificate program and being enrolled in the certificate program does not guarantee being awarded a funded practicum. Students can pursue outside funding sources for their practicum if their program requirements permit.

Can I do an international practicum? Can I get funding for a global practicum?

Global MPH students can participate in the program and may have practicum that is in another country. The practicum must meet the hour requirements, be related to injury prevention or control and be approved by the certificate program. Although the ECIC does not fund international research or projects some of the core and affiliate faculty conduct internationally-focused research. You can see staff bios here.

The ECIC does not provide funding for international practicum due to regulations; however MPH certificate students may pursue outside funding for international opportunities such as Global Field Experience awards (GFE).

I am worried that my thesis, capstone or research topic isn’t closely related to injury. Can I do the certificate?

The research/thesis/capstone component is required to be related to injury/violence prevention for both PhD and MPH students. That being said, injury/violence prevention and control is a broad and complex body of work. Topics are approved on a case-by-case basis with a reasonably flexible definition of injury/violence and may include projects relating to shared risk factors such as alcohol or substance use, parenting, mental health, health disparities and vulnerable populations.  The certificate advisors and ECIC faculty are great resources for ideas on how to ensure a project adequately addresses a component of injury/violence prevention and control.

Will I be able to do the program in a single year?

Unfortunately, the certificate program would be difficult to achieve in a single calender year. While many of the requirements such as the research and practicum component could easily be fullfilled it may be difficult to fullfill the elective course requirement when taking required MPH courses into consideration. Students should discuss this with their advisor and review the requirements of their program to see if it is possible. The ECIC resources and certificate program course offerings are available regardless of a student's status as a certificate program student; however, students can only have the certificate program reflected in their transcript if they meet the requirements.